Bookish and Belle banner (without tabs) Outfits Recipes Crafts Home Wedding

Friday, June 21, 2013

Summer Recipe: Homemade Tortilla Chips

Homemade Tortilla Chips recipe

After our taco night, I had some leftover salsa and corn tortillas. The solution? Fry those tortillas up and have chips and salsa!

I'd never made my own chips before, or even fried much of anything before, so I was a bit intimidated, but Emily's post on frying up your own chips assured me that it would be quick and easy, and I must report that it was. 

Summer recipe: homemade tortilla chips

But I will say this: even though she wrote that I should watch them carefully, I still overcooked my first batch. It's because I put them all in one by one and then flipped them before removing them. I did this all in rapid succession, but there just wasn't enough time. 

Luckily, I discovered that they don't really need to be flipped at all. So, I cooked the rest of my chips by lowering in a batch of about 12 one by one (using tongs) and them immediately removing them one by one, starting with the ones that had been cooking the longest. This worked perfectly. 

I'd also recommend salting each batch as you lay them on the paper towels instead of waiting until the end, because the oil that's still clinging to the outside of the chips when they first come out helps the salt stick. 

Summer recipe: Homemade salsa two ways: honeydew melon salsa verde and pineapple habeñero salsa

Find my salsa verde recipe here

signature color

0 comments:

Post a Comment