Bookish and Belle banner (without tabs) Outfits Recipes Crafts Home Wedding

Monday, April 22, 2013

Spring Recipe: Green Bean, Asiago, and Tomato Quiche

Green bean, asiago, and tomato quiche recipe

Fancy as it may look, this is a dinner I put together one night with minimal effort using items we happened to have on hand. I made it small by using a tart dish, so this recipe only serves two. However, you can roll the crust thinner and double the other ingredients to make a quiche that serves four. 

Though I love a pie crust from scratch, I opted to save time (and dirty fewer dishes) by using pre-made puff pastry dough. This frozen dough is so versatile and such a lifesaver on nights when you don't want to work too hard. I always have some in my freezer. 

I also used frozen green beans, though the tomatoes were fresh, and the eggs came from chicken's Ryan's coworker has. If you can get farm-fresh eggs, I really recommend them, especially for dishes like quiche or these migas where the eggs are the focal point. There's really no comparison in flavor.

Although, you can find good eggs at any farmer's market, as soon as we have the slightest scrap of backyard, I'm going to get some chickens of my own. We had them when I was a kid, and they are an absolute joy to raise!

Like I said, I chose my ingredients based on what we had on hand. But, one of the great things about quiche is that it's infinitely customizable. Asparagus would make a good substitute for the green beans here; any cheese from cheddar to brie would be lovely; and you can even add meat if you want, too. Ham, bacon, and sausage are all good choices. 

Green bean, asiago, and tomato quiche recipe

Green Bean, Asiago, & Tomato Quiche

Ingredients:
One sheet puff pastry, thawed
3 eggs (Ours were small. 2 grocery-store eggs is about the same volume.)
2 Tablespoons milk
1/3 cup shredded asiago cheese
1/3 cup frozen (or fresh) green beans, blanched 
1/4 cup chopped onion
1 small tomato
Salt, pepper, and oregano to taste

01. Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit (190 Celsius). 
02. Trim puff pastry to fit tart pan (roll thinner if needed). 
03. Slice tomato into three rounds. Eat remaining tomato with salt. 
04. Beat eggs. Stir in the milk, onions, cheese, and desired spices.
05. Line crust with green beans, top with egg mixture, and arrange tomato slices on top. 
06. Bake for 30 minutes or until egg sets and crust is golden brown. 

Green bean, asiago, and tomato quiche recipe
Green bean, asiago, and tomato quiche recipe
Green bean, asiago, and tomato quiche recipe

signature color

0 comments:

Post a Comment