Bookish and Belle banner (without tabs) Outfits Recipes Crafts Home Wedding

Monday, May 13, 2013

Spring recipe: Totally Amazing Mushy Peas

Totally Amazing Mushy Peas Recipe

Mushy peas might be a dish you remember fondly from childhood, or they could, just as soon, be terrible childhood memory for you. Either way, you probably don't associate them with class or good taste.

If I were competing on the TV show, Chopped, I might try to trick you by calling this a "purée." But, let's be honest; these are mushy peas!

Now, I can be picky about food, and I definitely can be discriminating when it comes to quality (If you really want to see a person get passionate, ask me about Floridian tomatoes vs. Mexican tomatoes sometime and watch my ears start smoking), but I am not a food snob.

In fact, as I've mentioned before, I have a big soft spot in my heart for food some might call "tacky" or "trashy" but that I lovingly refer to as Kitchen Kitsch. And it's in that spirit that I share my favorite mushy peas with you.

Besides, these are not the mushy peas of your childhood. These are Totally Amazing Mushy Peas.

Totally Amazing Mushy Peas Recipe

I've adapted my recipe slightly from a Nigella Lawson one. It was her brilliant idea to cook the garlic along with the peas. I use yogurt instead of her recommended crème fraiche simply because I always have some on hand, which makes whipping these up to accompany dinner super easy. I sometimes add fresh mint as well, but, if I don't have it on hand, I don't sweat it; these are lovely and yummy on their own.

For some reason, I'm always reminded to eat peas in the springtime, even though I almost always cook them from frozen so it doesn't much matter what time of year it is. You can use fresh peas if you want, but it's not necessary; peas freeze remarkably well.

Ingredients:
5 ounces frozen peas
1 clove garlic
2 tablespoons nonfat greek yogurt
2 tablespoons grated fresh Parmesan cheese
Salt and pepper

01. Bring a pan of salted water to a boil. Cook garlic and peas until tender.
02. Drain. Transfer peas and garlic to a food processor. Add the remaining ingredients, giving a good grinding of pepper.
03. Purée. Taste, and add more salt if needed. 

signature color

0 comments:

Post a Comment