Bookish and Belle banner (without tabs) Outfits Recipes Crafts Home Wedding

Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Color Theory: Red

Color theory: red


Red is perfect for February's Color Theory because of Valentine's Day and because February is American Heart Month. In fact, a few days back, one of my favorite bloggers, Jessica Quirk of What I Wore, mentioned that it was "Wear Red Day" to help raise awareness about heart disease.

Red is a great, bold color, symbolizing both love and danger. Of course blood is our main association with red, but it also has strong holiday associations for me. In fact, I wore the same red dress for Thanksgiving and Christmas, and I may wear it for Valentine's Day as well.

However you feel about red, one thing's for sure: it always makes a strong statement. In fact, it's been shown that red cars are given a disproportionate number of speeding tickets. It's unclear whether people who own red cars tend to speed more, the cars are simply more noticeable for their color, or cops unintentionally discriminate. But, that certainly is a big impact for a color to have.

Here are some of the ways I've worn red lately. As usual, you can click any image to bring up the full outfit post. Here's your soundtrack...

Little Red Corvette by Prince on Grooveshark

Fog outfit: Missoni for Target black and white chevron dress, red tights, Hunter wellies
Anniversary outfit: vintage fringe dress, vintage Moschino belt, vintage beaded scarf, leopard brocade coat
Christmas outfit: Anthopologie sweater, H&M dress, fair isle tights, vintage saddle oxfords
Christmas outfit: DIY skirt made from thrifted men's shirt sleeves, spotty tights, quilted boots, Harvard shirt, vintage girl scout cardigan
Thanksgiving outfit - leather boots, mustard tights, red babydoll dress, DIY fall-leaf hair wreath
Grunge outfit: Gap jeans, aran fishermen's sweater, flannel shirt, hand-me-down kicks
Outfit - vintage wrap dress, target t-strap shoes, camel coat
Outfit - Twenty8Twelve jeans, cropped Summerheights High t-shirt
Outfit - Twenty8Twelve jeans, vintage blouse

Join me on: facebook // twitter // bloglovin // pinterest // instagram

2 comments:

  1. Red is an amazing colour on, I think a lot of my favourite outfits of yours include red =) I've been wearing quite a lot of it over winter too, it just seems like a holiday type colour!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely agree. I actually don't tend to think of it as a favorite, but then when I look at how much I wear it and the strong reaction I often have to it, I think it is. 

    ReplyDelete