Bookish and Belle banner (without tabs) Outfits Recipes Crafts Home Wedding

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Spring recipe: golden beet hummus


Golden beet hummus recipe

I love beets. Red or golden, I love everything about them. And, ever since I made a version of these latkes using grated beets, Ryan has been a big fan as well. 

Ryan also loves hummus. I mean, the man goes through so many tubs of hummus, that I realized I needed a food processor primarily so that I could make it from scratch like I used to do when I lived with my parents. You can save a lot of money by making your own hummus. That stuff is overpriced, let me tell you.

Not only is hummus cheaper when you make it at home, but it's crazy easy and crazy good. All you need is a food processor and some simple ingredients. I like to eat my hummus with corn chips because I'm a total freak, but you can serve it with pita, pita chips, crudités, or anything else yummy and nibbly.

One more note: The great thing about golden beets is that they don't stain everything they touch. The flavor is a bit more subtle that red beets, so I certainly wouldn't judge if you decided to substitute red ones here. I regularly cook and eat both varieties with relish! (That is, with joy, not with pickles.)

(Although pickled beets are also awesome.)

(Okay, on to the recipe...)

Ingredients:
One can chick peas, drained and rinsed
2 small golden beets, peeled and grated
1 tablespoon tahini (a sesame seed paste found in the Middle Eastern section of your grocery store)
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
Juice (and zest if you want) of one lemon
1 garlic clove, peeled
Salt and pepper to taste

Step 01. Put all ingredients in the food processor and blitz until smooth. You might want to use a grating attachment (if your food processor has one) to grate the beets. Alternatively, you can grate them by hand (messy with red beets) or even just dice them and expect to process for a bit longer to get everything smooth.
Step 02. Add more oil, lemon juice, or even some water if you want your hummus more liquidy. We like ours robust and thick, but, you should feel free to adjust yours to suit your preferences. You can, in fact, add more or less of any ingredient to alter the flavor and texture. Too sour? Use less lemon juice. Too bitter? Use less tahini. Too garlicky? Use less garlic. Okay, that one was obvious.

Golden beet Hummus recipe


Join me on: facebook // twitter // bloglovin // pinterest // instagram

0 comments:

Post a Comment